Today's my first day off with nothing to do in........................
...........................................
................k, I really don't remember.
So what am I doing? Staring at Facebook, Pinterest, and my email waiting for something to happen. Sooooo productive! It's only 10:00 though, something great is bound to happen, right?
No, I have about five or six things to accomplish today, including going down to the main office of my work and talking with my boss.
..........oh yeah.........and GETTING AN IPAD!
It's a work iPad........so don't get all excited. (even though I am....rather excited about it) (as is my husband who will probably use it more than me. It's inevitable.)
Okay, enough of those fragment sentences that are grammatically incorrect, let's move on.
I got a new job! I've had so much relief and anxiety associated with this change in my life. There are SO many pros, and only a few cons, so truly it's an excellent situation.
Much like my major in college this job involves a description, one in which I'm not very good at giving. "You're an Early Childhood major? What is that?"................ "You're an autism interventionist? What is that?"
First people have to realize that I said "autism". After that spark lights up in their eyes they go from confused to - "Oh...autism....OoooHHhhhh...wow, that takes a certain kind of person doesn't it?" I usually just laugh and say, yeah, but I think it's fun!
So really what I do is I work for this great company that does many different kinds of therapies for all ages throughout Utah. Their primary therapy is this ABA autism stuff that I do, but they also do other things. The ladies that founded the company started out doing ABA with autistic kids and that was their passion. After they did this for awhile they realized that autism affects the WHOLE family, not just the child who is autistic. They then hired some doctors and began doing mental health counseling, marriage counseling, etc. This all eventually lead to even further behavior therapy like substance abuse and really anything you can think of.
They are a pretty stellar company!
They are everywhere in the state too. They are primarily anywhere between Ogden and Lehi, but they also branch out and have clients in Tremonton, Vernal, St. George.....
They're everywhere!
I work in the "north" which means I do Davis and Weber County. Most of my clients are in Layton, actually!
So what I do is I go to the house of my client and work with them for three hours doing the ABA therapy. I generally have two of these three hour sessions a day, but sometimes I have three. I work anywhere from 6-9 hours a day.
The ABA therapy (Applied Behavioral Analysis) is pretty in depth. I have to do very discrete things like sit the child down and make them identify objects, sounds, comparisons, etc. Many of the children I work with are low functioning so I work with them on colors, animals, daily functions, and all the basics of life. Other parts of the therapy include learning how to cope with social situations, which is maybe the hardest part for most children with autism. I put my kids in tough situations and teach them to work through it. One little boy that I work with HATES having his car mat touched, sat on, or messed with. He's the sweetest boy though so he doesn't get mad when I do any of those things, he just whimpers and gets very distressed. He's not extremely verbal, but when I do sit on the mat he'll say to me: "Ama, ah? Ama ah!" ("Amber, off! Amber, off!") I have to redirect him and make him at least say: "Off please", which he tries really hard and says something that sounds like that.
So besides the discrete sitting at a table and working part of the therapy, I get to do a lot of playing too! I'll take my clients on walks, we'll go to the park, we'll play with play dough/cars/stuffed animals....
I get to take a child on a field trip once a week too! Last week we went to the zoo for six hours. That was.........an experience! Ha ha.
I definitely learned first hand what it feels like to be the caregiver of an out of control special needs child and to have, what it feels like, all of society looking at you with wide eyes that say: "Can you honestly not control your child? Why did you even bring them out into this public place if you can't handle them properly?"
It's SO good for these kids to get out and experience real life situations though. Because they do get those stares....ALL the time....it makes it hard for parents or caregivers to take them places. I was really happy to take that sweet girl to the zoo last week! I'll get to do a lot more of those this summer too as the weeks go by.
Autism is so fascinating to me. It has been ever since I worked at the autistic preschool over a year ago. The causes of autism are so unknown, I wish there was more definite research on it. I definitely love working with these cute children though.
It's weird being called a "therapist". It makes me feel.............old.....or like I should be a lot more wise than I actually am. I did go through a lot of school, training, and work experience to be where I am though, so I'll take the title if they are willing to give it to me!
It also feels weird being at a point in my life where I could really make this a career. In SO many ways I'm so grateful I got this job. They are extremely flexible with how many hours/sessions you want to work and where you're willing to work, I absolutely love it! If I would have gotten a job working for head start or at another pre-school/kindergarten I would have only been guaranteed a job on a school year to school year basis....and I would have been expected to stay full-time all the time or they wouldn't have let me keep the job. With THIS job it is perfect because I can work full-time now and up until I have a baby, then after I do start having kids I can go to only a couple sessions a week and still keep the job. I could do a couple Saturday sessions or a couple sessions week nights and still be a stay-at-home mom! They have a later afternoon session from 4:00 - 7:00, so if I did a couple of those a week it would be perfect.
Who knows though, maybe once I do have a baby I'll want to just quit altogether. I won't know till that happens, I suppose. And sorry, I'm still NOT pregnant, so all of this baby talk isn't for any other reason other than speculation for the future. :)
Well, 2013 has been a very interesting year so far! It's about half way through which is crazy. It hasn't ended up at all like I thought it would. It's amazing how our lives change so much everyday, every week, every month....we are constantly changing, rearranging, and we never stop growing. At least I feel like I never do. I feel so much stronger than I did in 2012, but I still have to face lots of days when I feel incredibly weak. I don't mean physically....I'm not ill or anything of the sort. I mean spiritually, emotionally, cognitively........all of those ways.
I think 2013 has made me a little bit more of an introvert. I'm not as open with everyone and everything as I used to be. Maybe I'm wrong....and maybe you're all reading this thinking: "TMI, Amber. T. M. I." but at least from what I've seen I have changed into a little more of an introverted person. There are also people in the world who probably never saw me as anything BUT an introvert, so surprise! You're correct. At least in my eyes.
My mom showed me this video on introverts a couple months ago and I kind of love it. Watch it!
Also, I saw something on Pinterest today that I kind of loved, I think I will leave you with it!
"The person that you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so better try to make yourself as interesting as possible." :)
No comments:
Post a Comment