Ever since I can remember........or at least since junior high..............maybe that is ever since I can remember...........who knows..........
.......I've had this never-ending battle with my hair.
It's. So. Thick.
But it's not the cool kind of thick where it's super curly and you can make an Afro out of it (can you imagine me with an Afro?).
And it's not the luscious kind of thick where it just looks beautiful and smooth and full and radiant.
It's in a category all it's own where it's not really curly OR straight....it's wavy underneath and in the back....it's straight on the top and in a couple of random splotches in the front.
So why am I complaining? Just curl the couple of random splotches and enjoy my thick hair? Right??
Right??
No.
Not right.
It doesn't work like that.
So ever since I can remember (or junior high) I've ended up cutting it because it gets unbearable. I've cut it several different lengths over the years and have never fallen in love with any one way. I've conceded to the fact that my hair is never going to have a perfect way.
I just have to get better at doing it.
Speaking of getting better at doing things...
I recently taught myself how to french braid my own hair.
My mom french braided my hair growing up all the time, but I've never had anyone actually show me how to do it. I just kind of guessed from watching my mom do it a million times and ta-da!
Anyways...I'm slowly (and painfully) getting better at it every time I try.
I think french braiding your own hair, particularly thick hair, should be an Olympic sport.
My arms and neck and head and brain hurts far too much after I'm finally done. And regretfully the end of the braid usually looks like it barely survived World War I cause by the end I'm so tired I just give up and finish fast.
Oy.
I may exaggerate a lot......but still....
Thick hair is a pain.
When I DO give myself enough time to do it, it turns out well.
But with a baby, who actually has time to do things for yourself. Especially well. Ha.
I've been growing my hair out for about a year and a half now and it's getting longer than I ever let it get. (Which admittedly isn't very long at all :( )
I've half convinced myself that if I let it get long ENOUGH then it'll be easier to do. I guess my unrealistic hope is that if it gets really long it'll catch all that random waviness I was talking about and just run with it. And be as beautiful as I want.
A girl can dream, right?
That's probably all it is.....a dream, but I'm sticking to it longer than I usually do, so I have that going for me, right?
Right.
And I'm just hoping that I'll keep getting better at braiding it, cause really, I love braids so much more than ponytails. I never really wanted to be that mom that always had the ponytail. I guess that's just how it goes though, unless you cut your hair ridiculously short.
Speaking of things I never wanted to be as a mom or things I never thought I would do....I was going to make a list of those things on here.
It's been making me laugh the things I thought I'd never do as a parent, but I'm only three months in and I'm doing them.
With the degree that I have I worked with little kids A LOT. In fact....that's all I did. I saw parents from all different walks of life. Every single style of parenting, socioeconomic status, family set up, you name it - I saw it. And because of my university experience and knowledge I thought I knew everything that they were doing wrong.
Ha.
Ha ha....
This list is bound to keep growing as Grace gets older, but here it goes so far...
Things I said I'd never do as a parent:
-When I'm a mom I'll never take my baby out in public in pajamas. (Yeah, that happened last week)
-When I'm a mom I'll never be the one with the crying baby in the movie theater/church/grocery store.
-When I'm a mom I'll never let my baby cry while I'm doing other things. (Dishes, cleaning the house, talking to my husband, etc.)
-When I'm a mom I'll never go out in public in yoga pants....or no makeup/ponytail....or in a shirt that has spit up all over it that I somehow forgot about....or.... (do you want me to keep going?)
-When I'm a mom I won't bargain hunt for baby clothes/products...my baby deserves the top of the line! (Which she does, but do you know what kind of good stuff you can get when being frugal?)
Apparently my brain is fried cause I know there are more, but I can't think of what they are right now. So there's some for the time being! :)
I've been thinking of making my blog private since I've been posting pictures of Grace on here, so if you'd like an invite let me know!
No comments:
Post a Comment