I'm sure all of my religious followers (*crickets*) have been wondering how my diabetes has been doing lately since having the baby.
Well, the answer is.....
I'm cured!!!!
Hahahahahahahahaha
Just kidding that's not a thing.
However, I haven't been talking about it, because since I gave birth I haven't had to take any insulin.
Ta da!!!
So it certainly feels like I'm cured!
Yesterday my OB even congratulated me that I'm off insulin.....I wanted to be like "uh...I literally did nothing, this is completely my body being crazy."
Haha, can you imagine me saying that? Yeah, me neither.
So anyways....
How is this possible that I'm off insulin???
Let me explain.
When I was diagnosed a year and a half ago I certainly needed insulin, my body was waging full on war upon itself.
But then after a couple months, you religious followers (*more crickets*) will remember I went into the honeymoon phase of Type 1 Diabetes.
The honeymoon phase is different for everyone. Some people have honeymoon phases where they're taking no insulin, some people it's where they are taking just a little bit of insulin, but no where near the large amounts that all Type 1's are required to take on a daily basis in order to stay alive.
These honeymoon phases can last a week.....a month....6 months....3 years.....there is no set time frame. Everyone is different.
Well, my honeymoon phase lasted until I got pregnant and then bam....I needed a whole bunch of insulin.
It was actually a little hard deciding to get pregnant, because I knew it would boot me out of the honeymoon phase real quick, whereas if I didn't get pregnant I probably could have stayed in the honeymoon phase for who knows how long.
Once I was getting toward the end of my pregnancy my endo thought that I might go back to no insulin/honeymoon phase after I delivered....and she was right!
I don't even pretend to understand this disease.
I will say this though....I kind of think it is a miracle I'm back to the honeymoon phase, because honestly.....adjusting to having two kids is HARD!
I have most definitely fallen off the diabetes train (taking medication, wearing my Dexcom, testing my blood sugar religiously...) but in a lot of ways it's been okay! I haven't really needed to be on said train in a medical emergency kind of way, because my blood has been fine just taking care of itself again.
I really feel like it's a miracle and tender mercy in my life as I've adjusted to this wonderful baby.
As sweet as it is.....I am also kind of sad that things are happening this way.
I'm two months post partum and I've gotten used to being a normal human again.
Not having to worry.....if I walk for awhile am I going to need *insert a long list of diabetes supplies*....if I eat a piece of pie that's how many carbs and I have to take how much insulin for that....such and such life situation is stressing me out so my blood is running high so that means I need *insert even more diabetes things*....
I feel like I'm going to have to mourn my pancreas again when it in all finality dies it's horrible, inevitable death.
I've already mourned it and had a hard time coming to grips with that life...I'm just waiting to do it again.
So people would probably ask....
Well, isn't there something you can do? There has to be some way you can make it better?
No.
The answer really is simply no.
Eating healthy won't stop it from happening.
Exercising isn't going to do anything.
It's not like the endless diabetes commercials you see on the TV that claim you can do any list of things and reverse your diabetes magically! Those commercials are talking about Type 2 Diabetes (and for some with Type 2 it's not always that easy either).
Type 1 Diabetes is completely different. It's not a lifestyle disease. It's an auto immune disease.
That means my body is and will forever wage war on itself and I have to be a fighter and try to win!
I don't know if that big fight will start next week or a year from now, but I guess I'll enjoy being normal for now and worry about the mourning later.
And I guess since life is calming down and I'm getting used to being a mother to two I can try to hop back on the diabetes train.
Sigh.
Luckily I have a great support system in my husband and he'll gladly take the train with me. I don't what I'd do without him.
All aboard....
No comments:
Post a Comment