Saturday, January 7, 2012

This one didn't kill you, but the next one could...

Hopefully their won't be a next one.

Jeff and I had a very interesting and humbling week. On Monday he went into the doctor to get a CT scan because his chest had been hurting him. After the test was over the doctor was like...."k, we'll call you in a few days with the results, bye!"

They called him a half hour after that and said "you need to go to the emergency room immediately." Jeff then proceeded to call me (I was in my night class) and told me he was going to the ER. He told me his artery by his lung was clogged or something....they didn't really know what yet.

Now, I don't know much about anatomy or medical whatever, but if you say something is seriously wrong near your heart or lungs my first thought is....Oh my gosh, he's going to die.

That's what the doctors (all approx seven of them over the next three days) said should have happened too. I wasn't there when he got to the emergency room, but Jeff's dad told me that the inital doctor kept saying how lucky he was to be alive.

What really ended up being the problem was he had a blood clot in his left lung. I guess it was big enough that it basically was his lung/he hadn't been using that lung for the past several months. (at least not to it's full capacity)

The doctors immediately put him on blood thinners. He's going to have to be on them for the next six months or more.

It's been such a humbling week for me, and I know for Jeff. During those three days in the hospital I went through so many emotions. It makes me so grateful for the Atonement. I definitely felt it working in my life this week.

I was going through emotions of thinking.....oh my gosh, it actually is possible that he could leave me. Only being married for next to 10 months you don't really think about your spouse as someone who could just up and die. We are still newly married.....aren't we supposed to have lots of babies and get fat and have Thanksgiving dinner with our grandchildren in our home that we built 30 years prior?

I have a testimony that the Atonement can help soften any feelings of guilt or sorrow or selfishness. I was feeling all of those things a lot this week!

Jeff definitely is my better half. He's so much stronger than I am and I'm so glad Heavenly Father has blessed me with him in my life. I'm so grateful that I get to live a long and happy life with him. I know this because of my faith in my Father in Heaven and the promises that He has given us.

One of the best things Jeff said to me this week was his testimony on our eternal marriage. This life is so short that even if we were to be separated for a little while, it truly only would be a LITTLE while. In the grand scheme of things we have so much to look forward to for the rest of eternity.

Eternity is a long time. So much longer than this life.

Well, I guess there is lots of good news for now! Jeff is one some shots and pills of blood thinner and will be for awhile. Pretty much the doctors have reassured us that as long as they keep his blood levels where they want them we won't have any more problems. Also, he had some genetics tests done and they came back negative which means the clotting should NOT be reoccurring.

After all of this I've decided that really it all depends on how we look at life and mold our attitude that determines how we get through things.

"We can’t direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails. For maximum happiness, peace, and contentment, may we choose a positive attitude."
-President Thomas S. Monson

2 comments:

  1. i am so happy he is ok. i can't even tell you how heart broken i would have been had this ended badly. thank goodness for eternal families. but still, you're too young to not have jeff next to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so happy for you two. i'm glad he's alright. i can't even imagine what you must have gone through. you're a strong person. :) both of you are.

    ReplyDelete