Wednesday, April 11, 2012

ECE, FTW!

Since I don't have time to actually blog about my life I thought I would post a short paper I had to write for one of my classes! It's a class where I've had a lab down in the children's school two hours a week all semester and I've had to implement lesson plans for the kids down there. Anywho......many of you won't find it interesting, but I figured I would post it anyways! :)

P.S. I wrote it in less than 10 minutes so if there are errors.....don't judge. Ha ha :)

_____________________________________________________________________________________

My personal philosophy of how children learn best is summarized mainly through nurture, environment, and social interaction. I do recognize that biological factors are a cause of development, and that the inherent nature of a child can play into their overall ability to learn. However, I feel that the majority of a person’s development comes from what physically, cognitively, and emotionally happens to them on a day to day basis.

Throughout my academic career I have loved learning about the different theorists of early childhood and I feel that they all add a puzzle piece to what really sums up early childhood development. However, my favorite theorist is Lev Vygotsky. I have studied his work and really feel that his opinions and observations are very close to mine.

In Vygotsky’s theory of cognitive development we learn that young children are molded by scaffolding, social interaction, and observation. Through my work with children I have noticed that they often learn best from modeling and really excel when they are being taught through scaffolding.

Another key point that I have observed is the way a child’s environment affects the way they learn. I have seen students who have had a lot of success in school for weeks and then overnight they completely change. I have also seen children who day to day shift from being a behavioral problem to being the ideal student. I find in these situations it is ultimately up to the teacher to figure out the source of the problem. There is an unlimited amount of reasons why students suffer or excel because of their environment. Whether the family is nuclear, single parent, low or high income, separated, or becoming separated the child will be affected. All of these factors and more can play into a child’s ability to learn. I have seen a direct correlation in students learning from how they perform at school versus what their parents say is going on at home.

Another thing I love about Vygotsky’s work is his theory of self-regulation. Especially while working with toddlers and preschoolers I have noticed the need for self-regulation. Self-regulation is the key to success in education. Therefore, if it can be mastered at a young age the future success of the child will increase. Without the understanding of self-regulation many children won’t be able to focus later in life and won’t make wise decisions. It’s also interesting to note that some children might not be at the proper developmental stage to implement self-regulatory behavior. For this reason, I feel that teachers need to be sensitive to each child and recognize what every student’s current abilities are.

Going along with being sensitive as a teacher there is the zone of proximal development, also developed by Vygotsky. As a teacher there really is no other concept that can match its importance. If a teacher expects too much or too little of a child that student will never grow. Understanding the zone of proximal development for every child is a daunting, but worthwhile thing for a teacher.

Overall, I have found that implementing Vygotsky’s theories has helped me so far as an educator. Recognizing how environment shapes a child is extremely beneficial in education. Also direct influence of family, peers, the teacher, and the child themselves are all central to the child’s learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment