Monday, October 1, 2012

Babies and Beyond

I entitled this like I did because I like messing with people's heads. Ha ha.....sorry, I'm really not that funny.

(just in case you don't get it, I think it's funny because my family and friends are going to think I'm pregnant if I mention the word "baby" in anything :) )

I love babies and small children more than...................really anything......and I show it quite rigorously.......so naturally I think most people think I should have been pregnant long ago. Especially since I've been married for a year and a half.

Seriously, I should have two babies by now, right? :)

A year and a half. Jeff and I kind of completely skipped over our half anniversary this year. Whoops! That was 5 days ago, I guess. Hmmm...it's ok.......it's not like a half birthday where the half cake is next to necessary.

So anyways, I'm not pregnant. Sorry for the title. It's a Monday..........my husband is going to be gone till 9:00 tonight cause he's a good student.......I really just needed entertainment, even if this doesn't trick anybody. :)

This post IS about babies though! I've been thinking a lot about small children lately. Mainly because I study them everyday at school and work and in my personal life when I happen upon one. I love toddlers and pre-schoolers, they are seriously so fascinating. I love asking them questions and seeing how they view the world.

Every time somebody asks me what my major is I'll tell them and they will pause and then say... "So, what does that mean?" I just kind of laugh and explain it to them. The next thing they usually say is: "You must be SUCH a patient person, that's so great! I could never do that...etc."

I usually just take the compliment, cause I don't like proving people wrong, ha ha. But really, I think my professor said it best about a month ago at the beginning of the semester when he said: "People in our profession always get told that they must be extremely patient people working with small children, but rather than being patient, we really just 'understand' the small children to the point of giving them what they need......teaching them....etc."

I sooooooooooooo agree with that. I consider myself a patient person with small children, but really it's because I feel like I understand them. I don't think I could ever work with teenagers or adults, because for the most part, I flat out don't understand them at all.

My biggest frustrations in life, that I voice to my husband probably more than he wants to hear, are how completely ridiculous I feel like other adults are. The way they act, the way they present their lives, the way they treat others.......I don't understand it, and that's why it's a good thing I'm an Early Childhood major.

I could have never been a business major like my husband. All they do is work with adults! Jeff will listen to me rant about people and he'll put his two cents in, but for the most part our conversations will end with him saying how everyone is different. He'll generally leave the conversation without any guile or misunderstanding or weirdness towards the person.

I feel like I'm the same way with little kids. Many people look at babies or small children and they will think......why are they crying, why do they misbehave so much, why can't their parents just deal with them......and I'll leave my opinion of that child similar to how my husband leaves his of adults.

I should have taken an adult psychology class......it probably would have helped me out a little bit, ha ha.

Speaking of babies, my sister-in-law had her baby on Friday last week! She's the first baby in the Hunter family. I have nine nieces and nephews on Jeff's side of the family so I'm pretty used to kids being around in that situation, but my side has never had babies so it'll be fun!

On a completely unrelated note, today in one of my classes I had to explain to one of my classmates what the word "discern" means. (This is another reason why I can't work with adults, because I don't know how to dumb things down for them without treating them like complete idiots) I was kind of baffled in the first place why she didn't know this word......but then when I had to explain it to her again ten minutes later it was even weirder, ha ha.

Oh the American education system.......it's a gem. And I will soon be part of it as a chosen career. Cheers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment