I'm trying to get a bunch of things done for my student teaching today since we have the day off and in the process I found this awesome quote! I love finding quotes that summarize parts of why I want to be a teacher. This quote says directly what I want for my students and explains what I feel like my role as a teacher is. (and I just love Gardner's theories too)
"I want my children to understand the world, but not just because the world is fascinating and the human mind is curious. I want them to understand it so that they will be positioned to make it a better place. Knowledge is not the same as morality, but we need to understand if we are to avoid past mistakes and move in productive directions. An important part of that understanding is knowing who we are and what we can do... Ultimately, we must synthesize our understandings for ourselves. The performance of understanding that try matters are the ones we carry out as human beings in an imperfect world which we can affect for good or for ill." -Howard Gardner
(this may or may not be the shortest blog post I've ever done, but I just needed to get this on here so I'd have it for future reference :) )
No comments:
Post a Comment