It's been pretty windy lately and with all of the loose leaves on the trees it makes for a wonderful shower when you walk outside. This is especially true in my yard, because I live in an older part of town and there are mammoth trees everywhere! It makes me want to never live in a new neighborhood.... although we probably still will someday.
Someday. Oh the future.
I've definitely been living in the past lately, because my family has been cleaning out my grandparents house. They had so many cool things that I never knew about! My grandma passed away a year ago this month, and my grandpa just over two months ago so we're getting their house cleaned out and ready to sell.
I sure do miss them. That'll never change.
They were the fun grandparents that went everywhere with us growing up.....no matter if it was Disneyland, Canada, Florida, Maryland, and the other hundred places we went.
I remember one time I was at one of those special night's for young women's and one of my teachers said to me: "Isn't it so fun that your grandma comes to things like this?" I was maybe twelve so I probably responded (mentally: "yeah, k, whatever...") in my shy way: "Oh yeah....sure, it's fun."
But then she said something to me that really stuck with me.... she told me that other grandmas aren't as involved as mine was. She said that I was really lucky that my grandma cared so much about me and wanted to see me always succeed.
I had never realized that.
I never knew that my grandma went above and beyond the call. I mean it makes sense....she was great....but still, sometimes it takes a completely impartial observer to make you realize how blessed you are.
As time went by, the more I looked at it, the more true it was. My grandma was always there. She loved us so much!
It's been fun going through their house with my mom and looking at everything they had. They had a pretty simple life, but they knew what really mattered. They loved having fun! Even though my grandma worried about everyone, it wasn't possible to see her and not hear her laughing at least 70% of the time. Most of that probably was due to my grandpa never wanting to be serious, ha ha.
I'm not writing this to make myself or anyone else sad. I really don't feel sad when I think about my grandparents. Like I said, I'll never stop missing them, but they were never sad, so why should I be?
It's interesting to think about timing. I think about timing all the time! Why does one person have to leave this earth when they do. Why did this person achieve this accomplishment when they did. Why do some people have to go through hard trials at times in their lives that seem to be the exact wrong time.
If I've learned anything from the year 2013, it's that timing is everything. It sets up everything. It changes everything. It means everything.
So in the end, timing will happen and it's just a matter of being prepared when it does.
2013 is almost over. We really only have two more months. I can't really believe it, actually. It's been the hardest year, but it's also been the best year. I've learned to live in the present, which is a REALLY big deal.
I've always been a past and future kind of girl. The present is hard because you have to try living in it while remembering the past and simitaneously worrying about the future. Somehow, this year though, I've learned to live in the present. :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery, and today's a gift - that's why they call it the present."
No comments:
Post a Comment