I'm not even going to sugar coat this one.
This blog post is about diabetes.
Surprise!
Jk. That's not a surprise.
I went to my endocrinologist today to get my A1C checked and let me just tell you.....I was so nervous!
I shot out of bed this morning like I was going to be late, when really my appointment was four hours away.
Let me explain some of these terms....
An endocrinologist is a doctor who specializes in diabetes.
An A1C is a percentage of what my blood sugar has been over the past three months.
People with Type 1 Diabetes have low and high blood sugar and that's why things like insulin and skittles are in my life.
I've been tasting way too much of the rainbow lately...
Anyways...
Normal blood sugar is between 80-130. So for all of you people who have normal functioning bodies, your pancreas keeps you there at those numbers all the time and you never have to think about if your blood sugar is out of whack. Your body just works how it's supposed to.
For me a normal A1C should be about 6%. And non-diabetics usually range somewhere between 4-5%. 4-5% means that your blood sugar is on average between the 80-130. Peachy keen.
When I was diagnosed with T1D my A1C was 14%.
(Everyone who is medically inclined is screaming right now)
14% means that my blood sugar had been at an AVERAGE of 300 over that past three months.
Really really bad.
Well, today, my A1C was at 5.1%! Wooooooohooooo! That's a lot better than 14%. My doctor thinks it's too low though, so she's taking me off of insulin for now.
Say whaaaat?
I don't have to stab myself with a needle several times a day?
Hooray!
Does that mean I'm cured!?
Noooooooooooooo way, ha ha.
What we have going on here is called "the honeymoon period".
When people get diagnosed with T1D and start treatment for it, the pancreas will wake up for one more blink and be like:
"What? I'm dying? I'm not helping you anymore? Whatever, I'm totally going to help you!"
And then it does....for an undecided amount of time.
My doctor said she's seen people go through the honeymoon period for a month and other people two years! Everybody's body is different.
Who knows how long mine will last, but it definitely means I'll be tasting a lot less rainbow for a bit.
Insulin helps the blood sugar go down, but since I'm in that honeymoon phase where my pancreas woke up for one more minute I was getting too much insulin and it would make me go low (allll the tiiiiime).
And what do you do when your blood sugar is low?
Eat skittles.
It's kind of weird looking to the future and thinking about what I'm going to need to do.
Once my pancreas is officially dead and the honeymoon is over (honeymoons generally don't end in death...........I guess this one does though.......), I will go back on insulin. And I can guarantee it'll be lots more than I ever took before.
I'll get an insulin pump someday.
That's weird to think about.
So many changes......I guess I'll just keep honeymooning till the next big change!
No comments:
Post a Comment