Especially if you blog stalk me and read my post two times ago.
Well, after much ado, I officially have my CGM!
WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!
A continuous glucose monitor, for those of you who don't regularly think about this blog, is a device that tells me what my blood sugar is all the time.
This is an incredible thing for a person with type 1 diabetes, because
Every time I eat, every time I want to exercise, every time I drive, pretty much doing most things requires me to know where my blood sugar is.
So many variables I have to think of, that most people take for granted.
Having this device allows me to just look at a screen and see where I am, rather than having to endlessly prick my finger and get a blood sample.
Needless to say.....I'm so happy!!!
Diabetes burnout is such a real thing.
My goodness, being on alert 24/7 gets tiring.
So this has made me so happy and relieved! It alarms if my blood sugar is too low or high, and it also has arrows to let me know if it's going up or down rapidly.
How it works, is I have a sensor inserted into me and that transmits to the little screen and shows me a chart.
Technology is amazing, huh?
The gray area where the dotted line is, is the range I'm supposed to stay in.
Pink! If you're going to be physically dependent on something it might as well be cute, right?
The sensor inserted in me.
It inserts with a needle, but the needle doesn't stay. I'm not very good at explaining medical things, so just know there is a little piece of something under my skin checking out my blood. That's about the best explanation I have, haha!
My snapchat awesomeness, cause I'm just really excited!
Commonly asked questions-
Q: Does it hurt or bug you at all? (The sensor)
A: No, I can't feel it at all actually.
Q: Is it an insulin pump?
A: No. This is totally different from a pump. No insulin involved with this device! I still have to inject insulin with several shots a day.
And probably your next question....
Q: Why don't you have a pump? Taking shots sounds awful!
A: I'm still coming out of the honeymoon period of type 1, so I don't take very much insulin right now. I think I'll eventually get a pump, but where I'm not taking tons of insulin I don't need one. And yes, shots aren't fun, small amounts of medicine or not, but staying alive IS fun, so there's that!
I'm so grateful I live in a time when things like this are available to me. Modern medicine and technology are so important! It's a great time to be alive!






No comments:
Post a Comment