Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Sleep Reviews

I am currently at an exhausted stage where my new baby is starting to slowly sleep in longer spans.....but since my body has gotten used to being so sleep deprived I'm actually more tired with more sleep now.

Cause that makes sense.

Actually,  to me it does.  I've grown accustomed to 1-2 (or less) hours of sleep at a time,  so now 5 hour stretches of sleep is making me yawn all day.

We've had such mixed reviews on what to do with this kid sleep wise.

With Grace,  she was born big enough and healthy enough that at her 2 week well child check her doctor said "let her sleep as much as she wants at night!"

Which is why by 2 months she was sleeping through the night and has never looked back.

With Mr. Hunter Boy....

In the NICU they preached that he's so tiny he must eat every 3 hours! They always said "til he's 7 pounds you have to do this and that". It felt like everything hinged on him being 7 pounds.  And it also felt like he was never going to be 7 pounds.  Haha

Well, I'm pretty sure 7 pounds has come and gone.

He might not be much more than that,  but I know for sure he's getting bigger all the time. He's definitely gaining weight.

So since he's that "big" now I called his pediatrician's office to ask if and when we can let him sleep "as much as he wants". The nurse/medical assistant/whatever she was that I talked to seemed appalled that I called to ask that.  Hahahahahaha

Umm.....hello? I'm exhausted here....BECAUSE I've been really good and have fed my baby on the dot every 3 hours for over a month....all day and night! I could have cheated and not cared what the doctors opinion was and my baby could be losing weight and I could care less cause I'm getting wonderful sleep! Hahaha.

So yeah,  that was funny that she seemed so flabbergasted that I would ask such a thing.
Good thing she never asked for the patient's name,  so they don't know it was me asking. Hooray! Haha

In the end her answer was "well,  you definitely don't want then sleeping longer than 5 hours at a time before they are 3 months old,  because they still need a night feed."

In my mind I heard "5 hours". Sweet! That's like 3 more than I'm currently at!

I can guarantee when I go in for his 2 month appointment his pediatrician will be a lot cooler about it.

Like I said,  at Grace's 2 week appointment she was giving us the green light, so I'm sure she'll be a lot more understanding than her staff was on that phone call, haha.

Funny stuff.

I think the key is to follow the baby's lead on a lot of this stuff.

If the baby is hungry....feed the baby.

If the baby isn't gaining weight....feed the baby.

If the baby wants to sleep and is healthy otherwise....let the baby sleep.

Just my opinion.  :)

My sister in law took pictures of Hunter for us and they are so cute! Oh man,  he's a precious little kid.

He is starting to be more and more awake all the time and as a consequence to that he wants to be held all the time!

He's a sweet baby for sure. We love him.

These are a couple of my favorite pictures she took....




:)

He's the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment