How do you explain Type 1 Diabetes to a four year old??
It's hard to explain it fully to that age.
You kinda just say snippets here and there and hope that they understand.
Grace was 10 months old when diabetes became a part of our family. She really doesn't know any different.
Mommy has diabetes, that's just how it is.
She has seen me give myself hundreds and hundreds of shots. I don't even know how many shots she has watched me inject into myself during her short life.
She has watched me draw up who knows how many vials of insulin to put into my insulin pump.
She has watched me change my pump and Dexcom sites dozens upon dozens of times.
She has seen me poke my fingers thousands of times to see what my blood sugar is. Seeing my blood several times a day is a common thing for her.
With how much these necessary things happen, you'd think I would be prepared for all kinds of diabetes related questions.
She has certainly asked me all about the things that I have to do to stay healthy.
Most of those questions being: "Why do you do that?"
I wasn't prepared for what she said to me the other day though......
Despite all that she sees day in and out of MY diabetes.....
I wasn't prepared when she asked me a completely innocent question...
"When I'm a mom will I have diabetes?"
*instant tears*
NO.
NO. You will not.
My sweet....so sweet girl, you will not.
Grace wants to be me in every way.
She says the sentence: "When I'm a mom I will ____________ like you." countless times a day.
That blank is filled with everything known to man.
I will eat this food like you...
I will drive this car like you...
I will watch this show like you...
I will read this book like you...
I will wear these clothes like you...
I will like this color like you...
I will go get my nails done like you...
I will have have this number of children like you...
Basically everything I do she wants to do.
She wants to do it, because she's a girl like me, so in her head it makes sense that she would do it.
She wants to be a mom when she grows up so she can be just like me.
Is anyone else crying??
Just me?
Okay.
Ha ha ha.
So why would I be surprised when she asked if she would have diabetes when she is mom?
I dunno....
.....cause obviously that's not how it works.
My kids are not more prone to getting Type 1, because of me. I get asked that question quite a bit. The answer is... no, they do not have a high chance of getting it.
Type 2 Diabetes is a little heavier on the genetic thing, because of the metabolic nature of that disease and how it is manifested.
Type 1 is much more hit and miss. I don't have any family history of Type 1 Diabetes. I'm the one and only. For me it's a complete fluke.
I digress...
Back to Grace...
She is one of my biggest supporters when it comes to my diabetes. She always patiently waits while I do whatever I have to do, whether that is go eat food because my blood sugar is low or give myself insulin before each meal. If I have to go check my blood or change my pump, she never complains. She's such a good girl.
I fall short quite a bit, but she never notices. She has me on a very high pedestal. I am lucky that I have her as my little helper. She provides the most unconditional love.
I think more than anything else, I hope that my kids will grow up to be accepting and open to the hard things that people have to go through. I hope that they will see my hardship as something that they can relate to and know how to help others.
Type 1 Diabetes management is a full family affair. I am grateful for the family that I have been given and how they help me each day.

No comments:
Post a Comment