Monday, April 12, 2010

Dating

That title got you excited, huh?

(Ha ha ha)

I don't want to turn this into a rant about dating....more like just my thoughts about it. My realizations.

The world is becoming more and more technological-fied (not a real word) which makes dating, in my opinion, much more difficult. I've watched movies based on Jane Austen books with my sister (Pride and Prejudice and Emma) that were set in the 1800's and it's startling how little communication they have with their significant other while they are "courting". Maybe startling isn't the right word...because obviously they didn't have any technology such as telephones or computers like we do now so that bit of communication is completely out of the question.

I can't even go 3 HOURS without texting my boyfriend when I have one and these people in these movies go like......DAYS without talking to each other!?!? Ha ha ha ha!

Technology speeds along dating. Texting turns simple getting to know you conversations into "so how many children do you want to have?". Because of this relationships form and blossom and flourish so much faster than they used to in previous generations.

I've talked to some friends recently about my recent relationship/break up and how that ended and why and what what (yes I meant to put two whats) and one of my friends was amazed that my boyfriend and I had only dated for about two months and had already talked about getting married or that we had wanted to get married.

This is an example of what I was talking about....technology speeds things up. Technology gives us constant communication which for some of my boyfriends (aka all of my boyfriends) probably got to be annoying at some point. (ha ha)

Aside from technology, dating is just complicated. You are either REALLY with someone or REALLY not with anyone. A lot of traditional courting and dating styles have been abandoned in our society. (unless you go to BYU or Snow College)

I've only had one friend who has taken me on several dates stretched out over a period of time (and we didn't talk for several days in between, OMG!). Granted he didn't have a cell phone at the time (he's on his mission now), and we never really "dated" dated, but it was so much more traditional! He's such a gentleman and I'm sad that more situations.....NO OTHER situations like that ever happen for me or really any girls within my sphere of friends.

I've hypothesized that the reason people are either really dating or really not dating is because everyone is afraid of rejection. Everyone. You want to be loved right? I want to be loved! Or at least liked.....

I like to be liked. Don't you like to be liked?

So it's hard for people/young adults/personages to go out and then be rejected on the second or third or whatever date.

Because of this...lots of guys don't ask girls out. (Out = dinner and a movie, don't talk for several days like in Jane Austen, reunit, repeat, repeat, repeat, marriage)

Because of THAT lots of girls are emo.

Because of that that guys don't understand girls.

Because of that that that girls get frustrated with boys.

I hear a song coming on...........*It's the Circle of Liiiiiife!*

Even Simba and Nala....perfect examples of modern dating...they were separated, meet again and two minutes later into the movie it was *Can you feel the love tonight???* Where was the first kiss? I don't know....it was too hard to tell between the 2nd and the 33rd kisses. Watch that movie, you'll see what I mean.

So there is this dilemma of really dating or really not dating. My only idea or solution would be to have everyone's emotions written on their foreheads.

I feel as if that would probably do a lot more damage than good, but upon initial thought it sounds pretty wonderful! To be able to just see on a guy's face "Oh...he likes me! Good!" That'd be the ideal situation, but it seems like more often than not the situation of...."He thinks I'm gross and wishes I was blonde?" would probably happen.

Along with that, I don't think I would want people reading my thoughts or emotions. It would probably sound too much like this blog and people would never Facebook friend request me at that rate!

Another thing I find frustrating about dating is the fact that girls need to be obnoxiously flirty to get a guy to give her the time of day. I'm not a flirtatious person! I'm just......not. I've never wanted to change that either. I'm fine with what I am....and according to myself and friends and family and even past boyfriends...I'm a pretty dang cool person! (???) I'm a wonderful person!! (???) Ha ha ha, k I'll stop that....but really...there are so many nice, cute girls out there that don't date because guys are stuck oogling over *insert description of fantasy girl that all guys want*.

I feel like I have to actually grab a guy by the shoulders and tell him I like him or I'm interested in him before he's like...."Oh....ok!!"

That's lame in my opinion, but for the majority of my existence that's how it's been.

So when will this vicious dating cycle end?

A: Never.

Ha ha ha! I'm a hopeful person!

However, there is always hope in finding more boys like my wonderful missionary friend who so nicely took me on dates all traditional like. I'm grateful to know that there are, indeed, still Mr. Knightleys like him out there in the world.

I'll conclude this with the words of Michael Buble.........I Just Haven't Met You Yet!

1 comment:

  1. Sweetheart, you are adorable and lovable and when he comes along you're gonna be knocked off your feet and happy. Why? Because you deserve it. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete