Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Title of a Post. :)

I've been stalking the board where my grades get posted wishing they would all be there. I know I'm getting A's in four of my classes. The last class I MIGHT be like .2% away from an A depending on how he scores our last test. If he gives us a couple extra points for some questions like I'm hoping then I'll get an A. My first ever 4.0 in college? Kind of sad it had to be my last, huh? Ha ha. But I'll take it. If I get it, that is.

I guess I could get a 4.0 with student teaching and my internship next semester....so technically this isn't my first/last.

Nonetheless...........

I only have to go to my job 36 more times before I'm done. Do you know how happy that makes me???? So. Happy. :)

I love my job for the children. I love children! They are ridiculously cute and funny. But one of my coworkers makes my life harder than I wish it to be and that's....not cute or funny. Two of my coworkers had their last day on Friday so now it's just me, the only other good one, aaaaaaaaaaaaaand the not so good one. It's going to be interesting.

But only 36 more times, right?? That seems like a lot right now.

I've been wanting to post/blog about all of the drama that's been going on on Facebook lately, but I haven't really known how to say it. I haven't really known how to properly articulate my feelings.

Oh well....let the lack of articulation begin!

There is so much negativity in the world. I feel like most people thrive on it. I know I do at times, and probably more often than I should. People love to feel strong emotions and anger is probably the strongest emotion a person can feel. People also love to feel vindicated. In some small instances it is valid to feel so. In other circumstances though it was never their position to step in and be a part of it at all and thus that feeling of vindication was never theirs to feel.

Strong emotions.

I feel like people thrive on it because it makes them feel important. It all comes back down to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. People want to feel loved, appreciated, accepted, and like they belong. Sometimes this leads people to saying really ridiculous things on social media that makes me view them in the opposite light.

I'm not really talking about any one dramatic thing that's been happening on Facebook lately. I'm talking about ALL of them. From the shooting in Newtown Conneticut to the "wear pants to church" dealio to all of the constant political fights, and even down to the littlest things of who's going to get the coolest thing for Christmas/spend their break the best.

And I'm really not talking about any one friend of mine on Facebook either.

When I first joined Facebook it was a fun way to look at people's lives and see what was happening with them. Slowly it's evolved into a competition of who can look the coolest, who can present themself to be the most important or knowledgable or up-to-date. Who can argue their way to the top. Who can seem the most sympathetic.

For all I know people have viewed my page and have thought the same thoughts about me that I'm trying to look like I'm on top. In a lot of ways I feel like I can tell the difference between people who are posting for the same reasons I do and those who don't. I hope I'm not viewed as pompous in any way. 

But I regress...

I've still been posting things, but I haven't posted anything about the dramatic issues that have been talked about. And most of those issues I'm not even going to touch with a ten foot pole.

On Friday when the shooting happened, Jeff was home for lunch. He was looking at the laptop and said, "Oh my gosh, come here." He showed me the news report and I started to cry. It really hit home, I guess. I just thought about all of the students I've had over the past five years and what I would do if that happened to me.

All of the teachers who saved those children are heroes. Although I haven't been a "real" teacher yet I still have felt love for my students that is hard to explain. There are some children who are complete terrors and make your life miserable everyday, but if it came down to preserving their life you would do it.

For me this tragedy isn't focused on any political issues of what could have been or what should have happened differently....it's about the bravery and love of those educators. That's why I love education. It opens you up to a world of discovery and service to little people who need it so bad. Teachers should be recognized for their everyday bravery in taking on the challenges of their students.

Those teachers and students who were taken in the shooting should always be remembered. One of the little girls who was shot was the daughter/granddaughter of my grandparents best friends. I know that their family has the Gospel and I'm grateful for that. It makes me sad to think that more than a dozen of the parents of the young children who died don't have the knowledge of the plan of salvation. Even though that's true, I know that the people who perished in this tragedy are safe with our Heavenly Father.

Anyways, I figured I would post my feelings on my blog because Facebook has been pretty disheartening to me lately. I'm not trying to prove myself more sympathetic or on top. This is just how I feel.

I really need to get off of here and go Christmas shopping. I have severely procrastinated.......ha ha.

C'mon Tuesday, be good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment